Monday, October 04, 2004

Back to Work...

Unfortunately, I had to start back to some real work today. Well, haning pictures anyway. The first job was for a woman who had actually waited for the two weeks that I was away. Amazing, that. Nice that they want me to do the job, but I'm not the only jamoke that can hang a picture. A couple of big, 6 foot tall, Chinese ancestor portraits... that was fun. A couple of mirrors and some smaller artwork. From here I was off to an art consultant to pick up 6 pieces and deliver them to a office place in Taunton. This client had actually called me in Italy to set up the job. It was required that I be an USA national in order to do the work! Never had that happen before. Simple job... site the pieces and hang them. Then I was back to Cambridge to deliver the piece that I'd picked up yesterday. A quick stop at the Plough. On the way home there was a stop at the auto parts store for a new side view mirror (they keep breaking mine on this street) and a turn indicator bulb. Once home there were 6 calls to respond to and another couple of calls to make.
Yes, there was an Irish pub in Florence... right on Santa Maria Novella Piazza. Was a pretty cool place, outdoor seating with a parade of regulars that we never really talked to. Once again I was told that I didn't sound like an American! The Guinness was good and it was a fine spot to stop at the end of the day, before dinner. I think that I wrote all of my postcards here.
Never did get to see Michelangelo's "David"... the queues were just too long. We did see a copy in one of the Piazzas and I'd seen a copy at the V&A in London. Instead we took some advice and looked into a couple of churches that we wouldn't otherwise have visited. Great stuff... I'm starting to mix them up now but Michelangelo's tomb was in one... and they all had great paintings, Caravaggios, Fillipino Lippi's, etal... not to mention the wonderfully decorated architecture.
Tomorrow I go to stain a deck... there's something very wrong with this.

3 Comments:

Blogger sylviasometimes said...

I'll show the picture of the Michaelangelo (sp?) tomb which I took, unknowingly of course...wink wink!

9:24 PM  
Blogger Wastedpapiers said...

It's very hard to get back into the swing of "real life" after a nice holiday - almost like you'd never been away and the whole thing was a dream?! I always feel that and suspect most people do. Thats why we have holidays to begin with to get out of the rut we are in and see it from another perspective. When I say "rut" I mean that in a nice way ofcourse. I nice cosy firmiliar rut.

2:23 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Michael- It's even more difficult to go off to work while Syl still has a week of holiday and can stay home blogging and collaging to her hearts content. I'm jealous, but not bitter...

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home