Saturday, September 26, 2009

Gawd, A Week Went By

Yes, a week went by...
Nothing really special to report.
Art installations and small painting jobs took up most of the time.
I DID get the guys started on the small exterior painting job, here in Somerville,
but I didn't have any time to work on it myself. I was taking care of a couple of
regular clients in Brookline. Both small jobs that needed patching, priming and painting
so I bounced back and forth between them waiting for things to dry.
There was on installation that STARTED at 8:00 Thursday night!
The woman of the house was much more enthusiastic about the work than her husband.
Eight small encaustic, abstract pieces that were to be hung in two grids flanking the door
in the dining room. A few minutes composing the placement before I installed the first grid (two over two)
which took me about 10 minutes. The speed was commented on. The second grid went up and the husband finally decided that they looked pretty good. In my cheeky way, I looked over my shoulder and said, "Don't be so surprised! It was a good choice". They then wanted to hang a piece that was badly framed and inappropriate for this modern, formal dining room... it would kill the elegance. Both myself and the art consultant tried to dissuade them... we didn't put it up, but I'm guessing that they did it themselves.
Anyway...
A walk over to the Plough in the morning... might be an interesting afternoon.
Supposed to rain, but I walk over, rain, shine or blizzard every Sunday.
I'll tell you all about it tomorrow.


5 Comments:

Blogger Wastedpapiers said...

There's no accounting for taste. I have a few frames that don't do my collages much justice and I need to change them. Nobody sees them except Hazel and Archie so it doesn't matter too much but it niggles at me everytime I see them.
Another mild Autumnal day here- went to two boot sales but didn't get much. Hazel found a few ancient packages with bulbs, fuses and other household oddments which will find themselves on her blog no doubt.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Not just the bad framing... the piece was inappropriate for this dining room. It was some sort of wedding document. Too personal for such a public area in the house. A decorator once told me... "The more family photos in the public areas, the more disfunctional the family"... this piece was headed there...

7:22 PM  
Blogger Wastedpapiers said...

O dear , we must be quite dysfunctional then as I can see one, two, three, four...... eleven family photos in our dining room!

2:05 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

You all seem pretty level headed to me... Never seen any real confrontations. Of, course, you're English and you don't air that stuff in public. Keith Bates once pointed out that most artists are right bastards at being fathers... that's certainly not your case.
You spelled "dysfunctional" right... I had it wrong.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Wastedpapiers said...

Not sure where Keith gets his facts from. I think he's just talking about himself! The few artists I know seem to have made a pretty good job at fatherhood. I was never really career minded so Archie always came first.

2:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home