Tuesday, August 01, 2006

NY DADA

OK, I can take a hint...
Joel Cohen (The Sticker Dude) had given me a heads up about this Mail-Art meeting.
There was a list of events... John Held Jr., BuZ Blurr, Gaglione, Geert DeDecker and a host of others were going to be there... I signed on.
12 July- I shouldered my bags and walked the couple of miles to Central Square to catch the Red Line to South Station, to catch my bus. Smooth trip down until we were on Manhatten, where it took an hour to get to the Port Authority. As soon as I got off the bus, the skies opened up and I was drenched by the time I made the 5 block walk to my hotel, regardless of the umbrella. (The Herald Square Hotel... cheap, safe... but bare bones).
Checked in, dried off and headed downtown on foot. I made the 30 odd blocks in 45 minutes, checking in with Sylvia as I walked (cell phones CAN be usefull). I was early, so I had a beer at Fanelli's in SoHo. Over to Katz's where the group was starting to assemble. Held, BuZ, Sticker Dude were there and we started to reaquaint. People kept arriving. I finally got some food (this is the land of the $15 sandwich... I went with the $3 Hot Dogs) and sat down properly. To my left was a woman that looked vaguely familiar...turned out to be Anna Bosci from Italy. We'd never corresponded much, but years ago, someone assigned me her name to make a mail art piece about and I had.
As the evening wore on, others arrived... notably Mark Bloch. I commended him on writing about Carlo Pittore. BuZ was taking pictures with a digital camera for his cut out project. A good time was had by all..
As the evening wor down, I found myself on the sidewalk with Held and Bloch. Held is telling us that he sold all of his Mail-Art catalogs to the Getty Museum for an
outrageous sum. Bloch says he's defined a new art form... StorĂ£ge. Held says, "That's good, I'll use that".
The night's over... Bloch and I are walking in the same direction. He's mad. "John Held Jr. is stealing my term"...
We parted ways and I went uptown on the subway... back to my room, where I swear I could touch all walls from one standing position.
More to come.

More to come

3 Comments:

Blogger Wastedpapiers said...

I had given up ever finding anything else on your blog Jonanathan so glad you have gone back to it. Nice to hear about your NY trip and meetings with all these Mail Art Superstars! heh! heh!

3:16 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Michael... I'm not a natural writer...
as clumsy as these things are, it takes me time to make them. I've been painting... more about that, later.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Wastedpapiers said...

Reads pretty well to me Jonathan- then again, I am slightly dyslexic! Look forward to hearing about your latest paintings.

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home